M. H. Mitchell, Inc. 94th Infantry Division collection (har-ms3352)


Download Finding Aid

Collection Details

Collection Dates: 1940 – 2019
Scope and Content Note: An extensive number of videotapes and DVDs, focusing on reunions, the 94th Division's overseas campaigns, and veterans.
Biographical Note:

The 94th Infantry Division was activated in 1942 during World War II, although it participated in World War I and had soldiers serve during the inter-war period. The Division went overseas to Europe in 1944 and aided in numerous campaigns: Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. The Division returned to the States in 1946 and was inactivated the same year. While a part of General Patton's Third United States Army, the 94th Infantry Division earned the nickname, "Patton's Golden Nugget".

The 94th's main engagement was in spring of 1945, where they were first positioned at the Saar-Moselle Triangle south of Wasserbillig and faced the Siegfried Switch Line. They proceeded to seize Tettingen, Butzdorf, and the Nennig-Berg-Wies area. At Nenning, the Germans supposedly called the Division, "Roosevelt's Butchers." In February, the division seized Campholz Woods and Sinz. On mid-February, the Division breached Siegfried Line Switch Line defenses and cleared the Berg-Munzingen Highway.

After taking the area from Orscholz and Saarburg to the Saar and Moselle Rivers in late February, General Patton ordered te Division to cross the Saar. Due to ill preparation, the crossings were failures, and the Division remained where it was. In March 1945, the Division covered a ten miles from Hocker Hill on the Saar through Zerf, and Lampaden to Ollmuth. In mid-March, they managed a crossing and reached the Rhine on 21 March, fighting in the Battle for Ludwigshafen. After three days, Ludwigshafen was taken.

In late March, the Division was moved to Krefeld, Germany and intended to contain the western side of the Ruhr Pocket from along the Rhine. In mid-April, the Division was reassigned to military government duties, first in the Krefeld and later in the Düsseldorf areas. After the conflict's conclusion, from June until November, the Division served the military government in Czechoslovakia.

Since the end of World War II, the 94th Division Association has kept the spirit of the Division alive in memorials, reunions, newsletters, and other projects. The first official Association reunion was in 1949, and they have continued annually ever since.

M.H. Mitchell, Inc. has undertaken the task of collecting the documents, letters, diaries, histories, photographs and all the information available of the members of the 94th Infantry Division. The intent is to provide the largest collection of a WWII division where these materials can be viewed, read, researched and appreciated in perpetuity for those who are dedicated to history which includes the state of Georgia.

Extent: 27 VHS; 18mm, 1 miniDV, 16 super8; 3 audiocassette; 84 microcassette; 18 DVDs
Subject Headings: World War, 1939-1945
Extent: Related materials in other repositories: M. H. Mitchell, Inc. 94th Infantry Division collection, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
Provenance: Hargrett Collection; Donated by David Yoakley Mitchell of M.H. Mitchell, Inc. in several accessions between 2000 and 2011.
Cite Collection As: M. H. Mitchell, Inc. 94th Infantry Division collection, Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection, The University of Georgia Libraries

Objects in the collection

Filter by: Media type, Format

Loading...