The forestry program at UGA began as the result of George Foster Peabody's endowment of $2000 per year for three years for a professor's salary and $500 per year for school expenses. This gift paved the way for the November 27th, 1906 birth of the University of Georgia's School of Forestry. That same year Alfred Akerman was appointed Professor of Forestry and immediately started working toward reforming destructive statewide forestry practices. Through his actions the Georgia Forestry Association, which served as an advocate for the school, was established in 1907.
In 1907, the "Forest School" was made a division of the College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts and with the expansion of the curriculum in the spring of 1909 a degree course in forestry was offered. In 1912, the first Bachelor of Science degree in Forestry from a southern institute was awarded to UGA student Josiah Tattnall Kollock.
The year 1909 saw the beginning of summer camps that were held in locations around Georgia and Florida. Although their exact purpose varied over the years, the camps served to provide hands-on learning experiences (and adventure) for the students.
The University of Georgia Forestry Club was founded in 1914. Some of the club's activities included helping to found the Association of Southern Forestry Clubs and putting out publications such as the annual Cypress Knee. The club also hosted the Conclave of Southeastern Forestry Schools numerous times and saw its "Timber Dawgs" win many of the meets.
In 1916-17, the school's first forest nursery was established adjacent to the arboretum (on Stanford Stadium's current location). The nursery contained native species along with ornamentals and basket willows and was active until 1928.
Over the years, the school was bounced around among numerous buildings and, even at one point, was located in the recently abandoned veterinary medicine building. In 1938, Forestry moved into the "Classic" Forestry Building considered by many to be one of the most beautiful buildings on campus.
The school continued to grow until the outbreak of World War II drained the student body to a low of 8 students and saw the Forestry Building occupied by Navy Pre-Flight students. After the war, though, the school's enrollment rose dramatically due to the large influx of veterans and the program was on its way to greater success.
Post-war the school's reputation grew substantially as it dealt with an increased awareness from industry and both state and federal governments as to the the importance of forestry. Finally on July 1, 1971, the Forestry School obtained professional school status at UGA.
The years have brought changes to the school's name. To honor its Georgia-born New York philanthropist benefactor the school was named the George Foster Peabody School of Forestry in 1935. In 1968 the name was changed to the School of Forest Resources and, in 1991, the name was changed to the Daniel Brooks Warnell School of Forest Resources. In 2006, to better reflect the school's mission, that name was expanded to the Daniel Brooks Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources.